EFFECTIVE DATE: September 28, 2020
The Association of Advancement Services Professionals, including its subsidiaries and related organizations (collectively, “aasp”) is committed to meeting the evolving professional development needs of aasp’s members (“Members”) and the greater community of advancement professionals by connecting, informing and empowering our advancement professiolnals and is dedicated to protecting the privacy of its Members and customers, donors and visitors to and users of aasp’s Website, apps and Services (collectively, its “Constituents”).
Why is Personal Information Collected?
To fulfill our mission, it is important that we maintain a connection and provide services and programs to our members and the advancement services professional community (“our constituents”). Our association obtains, holds, and processes personal information of our constituents for the purpose of implementing and managing the services and programs we provide.
aasp processes the information outlined in this privacy notice in pursuit of our legitimate interest in:
- communicating with our constituents;
- providing services and programs to our constituents; and
- furthering our mission of advancing the advancement services profession
Information You Provide
We collect information from you when you choose to share it with us. This may include when you register to become a Member, or register to attend educational sessions, conferences, meetings, symposia, webinars, use aaspConnect or otherwise use our Services, whether through the Website, an App or over the phone. “Personal Information” or “Personal Data” is any information that can be used to identify an individual, directly or indirectly, including, but not limited to:
- Personal contact information or identifiers provided to process and record your Membership, such as name, address(es), email address(es), fax number(s), telephone number(s), or mobile number;
- Demographic information, such as age, sex, gender, nationality, date of birth, or marital status;
- Commercial information, such as purchase history and credit or debit card number or other financial information;
- Employment information, such as salary, company or institution, business address and phone number, job title, and industry;
- Video and/or audio of you from recorded webinars, educational sessions, or similar programs;
- Internet usage information, such as browsing time, cookie information, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, or website history;
- User account information, such as aasp account or Member number;
- Geolocation of any computer, mobile device, or other electronic device used to access the Website;
- Information regarding your usage of and/or access to the Website and other Services;
- Information regarding your usage of, and responses to emails, surveys, focus groups, or those of one of our trusted partners; and
- Presentation and program materials, such as biographical summaries or photos and program content proposals, presentations or other submissions.
We will never solicit or require you to send us any special categories of Personal Data (including information related to racial or ethnic origin or religious or philosophical beliefs). We ask that you do not send or disclose any special categories of Personal Data to us on or through the Services, Website, App or otherwise. Please note that if you do send or disclose such information, you do so voluntarily.
Information Collected From Third Parties Or Other Sources
We may obtain personal or other information about you from third parties or other sources and combine this information with the information we collect from and about you through the Website, App and Services. Such information may include, but is not limited to:
- Information, including geolocation information, collected through an App or web-based analytic services such as Google Analytics;
- Information obtained through in-person event registrations or similar activities;
- Information obtained through transactions you complete with us, including charges you incur;
- Information obtained through communications that you make through a third party;
- Information obtained through postings on aaspConnect, FundSvcs or other hosted community;
- Publicly available information about you from consumer reporting agencies, through third parties, public databases, joint marketing partners, and social media:
- We may receive your Personal Data from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, social media platforms, people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected on social media platforms, and other third parties. We may collect Personal Data from you offline, such as when you attend one of our programs; and
- Any other information obtained through one of our trusted partners.
We may also obtain information about you from other online sources, including when you connect with aasp through its official corporate pages on third party social networks (such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram) or the “apps” on those pages. This information may include, but is not limited to, name, username, demographic information, updated address or contact information, interests, and publicly-observed data, such as from social media and online activity. We may combine this information with the information we collect from and about you through the Website and other Services.
Information Automatically Collected
For example, we may automatically collect certain information from you, including but not limited to your browser type, device type, operating system, software version, IP address, geolocation, phone model, phone operating system, and the domain name from which you accessed the Services or the Website. We also may collect information about your use of the Website, including the date and time you visit the Website, the areas or pages of the Website that you visit, the amount of time you spend viewing or using the Website, the number of times you return to the Website, other click-stream or site usage data, emails that you open, forward or click-through to our Website, and other websites that you may visit.
We may also use third party cookies and other technologies to support our Services, provide services on our behalf, facilitate business transactions on our behalf, or provide relevant advertising to you. Some of these third parties may use technology such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, log files, or Flash cookies on our Website, which may send some of the above-referenced information to those third parties.
Tracking Options and California Do Not Track Disclosures
Certain parts of our Website requires cookies. You are free to set your browser or operating system settings to limit certain tracking or to decline cookies, but by doing so you may not be able to use certain features on the Website, or take full advantage of all of our offerings. Please refer to your web browser’s or operating system’s website or “Help” section for more information on how to delete and/or disable your browser or operating system from receiving cookies or controlling your tracking preferences.
Certain parts of our Website may also include advertisements from third parties. You can opt-out of being targeted by certain third-party ad-servers and aasp served ads online using the National Advertising Initiative’s opt-out tool, the About Ads opt-out tool, or on TRUSTe’s site.
Combination of Information
We may combine the information we receive from and about you, including information you provide to us and information we automatically collect through our Website and Apps, as well as information collected from other online sources or from third party sources to help us tailor our communications to you and to improve our Services.
How We May Use Personal Data
aasp uses the Personal Information we collect from and about you to advance aasp’s mission of engagement and service to Members and aasp’s constituents, including for any of the following purposes:
- To validate, confirm, verify, and track your account, purchases or Services (including to process payment card transactions, or to contact you about your account, products or Services);
- To enhance your online experience, including as a way to recognize you and welcome you to the Website or App, make the account usage and purchasing process faster and smoother and provide you with customized Website or App content, or via email, telephone, text message, or by mail;
- To recognize your online activities over time and across different devices;
- To contact you with information, newsletters, promotional materials and invitations from aasp on on behalf of our business partners, sponsors, exhibitors, licensees and affilates;
- We may also share user contact and interest information and event activity with our co-sponsors, sponsors, exhibitors, affiliated organizations and subsidiaries, business partners and service providers to offer products or services which we believe may be valuable or useful to our Members and visitors. They may use a pixel tag or other similar technology to collect anonymous information about your visits to the Websites, and they may use that information to target advertisements for our products and Services;
- To use your data in an aggregated non-specific format for analytical and demographic purposes;
- To review the usage and operations of our Website or Apps, and improve our content, products, and services; and
- To protect the security or integrity of the Website, Apps, and our business, such as by protecting against and preventing fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities, and managing risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users.
- Member Services
- To process your Membership with aasp; complete, fulfill, and communicate with you regarding your request to participate in a program; provide you with program materials; and provide you with related customer service. Our server may store this information so that registering for future seminars will be quicker and easier.
- To process your payments and orders, deliver your orders to you, communicate with you regarding your Membership or login, and provide you with related customer service.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you program materials, newsletters, and emails.
- To diagnose problems.
- To facilitate social sharing functionality.
- To allow you to send messages to a contact through the Services or the Website. By using this functionality, you are telling us that you are entitled to use and provide us with your contact’s name and email address.
- To send you messages about aasp’s newsletters, offers, promotional announcements, and Member surveys. Occasionally, we may send you special offers and promotional information via email or postal mail using the shipping address provided.
- To send you marketing communications that we believe may interest you.
- To personalize your experience of the Services and the Website by presenting programs tailored to you.
- Aggregated and nonaggregated data analysis to detect, monitor, and prevent fraud or to perform processing or data auditing.
- Aggregated and nonaggregated data analysis to enhance services.
- Aggregated analytics for developing new products; enhancing, improving, or modifying our Services or Website; identifying usage trends; determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns; and operating and expanding our business activities.
- Data analysis using geo-fencing, cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies to keep track of what users view, how long they spend on different pages, and how they arrived on a particular page (for example, through a search query, link from another property, or bookmark).
- Legal Obligations
- To send administrative information to you—for example, information regarding your Membership status; the Services and the Website; and any changes to our terms, conditions, or policies.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal processes; (c) to respond to requests from public and governmental authorities, including public and governmental authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property and/or that of you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages we may sustain.
- Otherwise to comply with all applicable law.
- Business Needs
- Payment processing, contract management, Website administration, web-forum administration.
- Forums and Communities
- The information we collect in connection with our online forums and communities is used to provide an interactive experience. We use this information to facilitate participation in these online forums and communities and, from time to time, to offer you products, programs, or services. If you choose to submit content (for instance, through discussion or comments in the community pages, online forums, or communities), we may publish your name, screen name, and other information you have provided to us. You hereby consent to this publication and use.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of data collection
Additionally, if you use the Website or Apps to connect with third party services you authorize us to use information from and about you, on your behalf, to interact with these third-party services based on your requests.
How Your Personal Data May Be Disclosed or Shared
Your personal data may be disclosed or shared with:
- aasp Team. With aasp Executive Board Members, leadership volunteers (e.g., committee chairs), aasp Members, and aaspConnect and FundSvcs users and subscribers.
- Trusted Partners. With our subsidiaries, affiliates, select licensees, business partners (including our third-party management company (Ewald Consulting, LLC) and other trusted industry partners that we believe may have services of interest to you, including for their own marketing purposes.
- Third Party Sponsors, Vendors and Industry Partners. With vendors who host program platforms (e.g., Social27) and service providers that offer data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, experience personalization, business, professional or technical support, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, credit card processing, auditing, and similar services.
- Mailing Providers. If you correspond with us via email, the postal service, or another form of communication, we may retain such correspondence and the information contained therein and use such to respond to your inquiry and/or notify you of our conferences, news, or related opportunities. Importantly, email and postal address information is never sold, given, or otherwise shared or disclosed to third parties except as set forth herein. If you do not wish to receive such notifications, you may express your preference to not be so contacted by sending a letter or by calling or emailing aasp at the contact information below, informing us of your preference.
- Legal Compliance. As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal processes; (c) to respond to requests from public and governmental authorities, including public and governmental authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property and/or that of you or others; (g) to provide information to law enforcement or regulatory agencies or in connection with an investigation on matters related to public safety, as permitted by law, or otherwise as required by law; and (h) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages we may sustain.
- Membership Directory. aasp makes Member information available through aasp’s Member Directory through this Website. In addition, aasp may incorporate information Members provide into hard copies of a Membership directory that may be provided to Members. You may opt out of having your information included in this directory. Please refer to “How You Can Access and Manage Your Personal Data”.
- Other. As otherwise described to you at the point of collection.
Except as set forth herein, at no time when disclosing your information will we sell, rent, or disclose your Personal Data to third parties without notifying you of our intent to share the information and giving you an opportunity to prevent your information from being shared. (Please refer to the “How You Can Manage Your Personal Data” section.)
aasp may also share aggregate or anonymous non-personal information with third parties for their marketing or analytics uses.
How You Can Access and Manage Your Personal Information
aasp provides its Members and constituents the opportunity to opt-out of having their information used for purposes not directly related to purchase, processing, registration or ongoing use of the Website, App or Services. To “opt out” of receiving future e-mail marketing messages from aasp, you can click on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of an e-mail marketing message or by following the instructions below. You can always access, review, change, and update your various profile, password, membership and other associated information by:
- Going to the Membership section of the Website and making the appropriate changes. You must be signed in to access, correct or otherwise update Membership information.
- At any time, you may call aasp at (651) 968-8382 to update your information, request a copy of your information, and opt into or out of any Service or marketing contact (including emails, postal mail or other announcements). We also provide opt-in and opt-out opportunities as applicable to the service or product being offered through hyperlinks provided in the email.
- You may also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
- To the extent available under applicable law, you may lodge a complaint regarding the handling of your Personal Data or Personal Information with an appropriate supervisory authority. We ask that you first grant aasp an opportunity to discuss and address any concerns you might have. Please direct such inquiries to email@example.com.
How You Can Opt Out of Online Behavioral Advertising
aasp does not direct its Website to, nor does it knowingly collect any personal information from visitors under the age of thirteen. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age thirteen without verification of parental consent, we will use reasonable efforts to remove such information from the files of the Website and any storage medium.
aasp Community and Other Public Forums
Any information you may disclose on our Website, in blogs, on aaspConnect or FundSvcs, on message boards, in chat rooms, when creating aaspConnect profiles or on other public areas on the Website, an App or third-party partner websites that the Website or App may link to, becomes public information. When you use these features, you should be aware that any information you submit, including your name, location, email address, your birthdate, or birthdate of another individual may be publicly available to others. Please exercise caution when disclosing personal information in these public areas. We reserve the right to remove any posting or content in a posting at our sole discretion. We are not responsible for any information you choose to submit through these interactive features, and we strongly discourage you from disclosing any sensitive Personal Data (such as health or credit card information) through these features. If you use these features, your Personal Data may remain on the Website even after you cease use of the Website.
Third-Party Content, Links to Other Websites and Plug-Ins
We have taken certain physical, administrative, and technical steps to safeguard the information we collect from and about our Members and constituents. While we make every reasonable effort to help ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems, we cannot completely guarantee our security measures. Credit card processing is performed through a third party PCI compliant service. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the "Contact Us" section below.
If you are visiting the Website or using an App from outside the United States, please be aware that you are sending information, including personal data, to the United States where our servers are located. That information may then be transferred within the United States or to other countries outside the United States other than your country of residence. Countries other than your country of residence, including the United States, may have data privacy and protection laws that differ from, and potentially provide less protection than, the applicable laws in your country of residence.
Rights for Individuals in the European Economic Area Impacted by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
You have the right in certain circumstances to (1) access your personal information; (2) correct or erase information; (3) restrict processing; and (4) object to communications, direct marketing, or profiling. To the extent applicable, the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation provides further information about your rights. You also have the right to lodge complaints with your national or regional data protection authority.
If you are inclined to exercise these rights, we request an opportunity to discuss with you any concerns you may have. To protect the personal information we hold, we may also request further information to verify your identity when exercising these rights. Upon a request to erase information, we will maintain a core set of personal data to ensure we do not contact you inadvertently in the future or subsequently add additional data about you during a periodic update. aasp may also retain some information for legal purposes, including U.S. IRS compliance. In the event of an actual or threatened legal claim, we may retain your information for purposes of establishing, defending against, or exercising our rights with respect to such claim.
If you provide information directly to the aasp from the European Economic Area (EEA), you consent to the transfer of your personal information outside of the EEA to the United States. You understand that the current laws and regulations of the United States may not provide the same level of protection as the data and privacy laws and regulations of the EEA. You are under no statutory or contractual obligation to provide any personal data to us.
The Association of Advancement Services Professionals
Director of Member Services
1000 Westgate Drive, Suite 252
St. Paul, Minnesota 55114-1067 USA
Tel: +1 651-968-8382
Because email communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card information or sensitive information in your emails to us.